z1 Ridhima Sud’s - New Girl in the TOWN | Latest Bollywood, Hollywood News, Movie Reviews, Star Interview, Box Office, Upcoming Movies

Ridhima Sud’s - New Girl in the TOWN

You might have previously seen her in one of the many commercials she’s featured in. But she’s now set to share screen space with the heavyweight cast of Zoya Akhtar’s Dil Dhadakne Do (DDD). But Ridhima Sud didn’t quite waltz into the movie making business just like that. She helms from an affluent Punjabi family in Delhi where modelling and acting weren’t considered appropriate professions for girls.


Her mother has a PHD and is an alumna of IIT, Delhi. Her father is a revered name in Delhi’s real estate business. Naturally, she was brought up in an atmosphere heavy on academics. She studied in the well-known DPS RK Puram School in Delhi. “I was a nerd in my teen years,” she reveals.  After schooling, she was packed off to NYU (New York University) to complete her graduation. There Ridhima acquired a major in Economics and Politics. It was also there that she first discovered her love for being on stage. “I’d been dabbling with theatre since I was 13. But after college, I landed a plum 9 to 5 job at Wall Street.” But she was no wolf of the stock market. Six months into the pencil pushing job, she snapped. “I realised it was not my thing. I didn’t belong there. I wanted to go out and discover my creative side. I wanted to become an actress.”

After moving back to India, she started modelling for beauty brands like Ponds and Kaya Skin. She shot campaigns for Vodafone, Coca Cola, Titan and eBay. But she wanted to hone her skills further. “I decided to attend the acting studio of the renowned Larry Moss in Los Angeles.” There she became actor/filmmaker Tobey Maguire’s (Spider-Man fame) class mate. “Soon,
I was offered a role in the Ballad Of Rustom, which was shortlisted as a contender in the Best Film category for the Oscars. I also acted in the Dubai segment of The Owner, which made it to the Guinness Book Of World Records for being a film that was directed by 25 filmmakers.”



With Farhan Akhtar on the set of Dil Dhadakne Do (on top), Goofing around with co-star Ranveer Singh (bottom)


Ridhima hit the jackpot when she was called to audition for a role in Zoya Akhtar’s Dil Dhadakne Do. “Nandini Shrikent, the casting director, got in touch with me for Zoya Akhtar’s film. I was super excited. I knew she had worked with banners like Excel Entertainment and Dharma films,” she says adding, “Zoya personally took my audition. Soon, I was a part of Dil Dhadakne Do.”




DDD has a stellar ensemble cast which includes Priyanka Chopra, Farhan Akhtar, Ranveer Singh, Anushka Sharma, Anil Kapoor and Shefali Shah. Obviously, Ridhima was worried about working with bigwigs. However, her worries faded off once she started shooting. “It felt amazing to work with all of them. They are warm and affable people and they reached out to me knowing I was a newcomer. They understood it would be overwhelming for someone like me who suddenly found herself on an outdoor shoot with so many stars.” She talks about Priyanka Chopra and the great rapport they developed. “We’re not the best of buddies, who can sit and watch Sex And The City and eat ice cream but Priyanka is someone I can reach out often too, especially if I need something. She was warm towards me.”

Ridhima is positive that 2015 is going to be a big year. “I have three releases. It starts with DDD followed by the Indie film Kajarya, which deals with female infanticide and is directed by Madhureeta Anand. I’ve also signed a three-film deal with Shoojit Sircar and John Abraham’s Production Company. I’ve even shot a few scenes for a film with them.” We hope she comes home to the movies. 
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments: