z1 Mission: Impossible – Fallout movie review: Tom Cruise returns with a film that reclaims his top position as an action star | Latest Bollywood, Hollywood News, Movie Reviews, Star Interview, Box Office, Upcoming Movies

Mission: Impossible – Fallout movie review: Tom Cruise returns with a film that reclaims his top position as an action star

It doesn't get better than that! Or maybe it does in the 7th part? But one of the BEST Series....


I have grown up watching Mission: Impossible series. There was a time when the local cable TV would only air Mission: Impossible on loop. MI films are literally my introduction to the action genre. And for an Indian fan of action films, these well thought out movies are a relief from all the humdrum of Bollywood’s masala action entertainers. So, Mission: Impossible – Fallout was certainly a movie I was excited for. I am not kidding, I have watched the trailer at least 50 times. I finally got to watch the movie, and, as a happy man, here is my review.

What’s it about

Our beloved MIF agent Ethan Hunt, played by Tom Cruise, does something morally righteous, but stupid, and loses three plutonium cores, that can be used for a nuclear attack on the world by bad people. He needs to track down the three cores. Simple. Also, he needs to break out Solomon Lane from jail to get to plutonium. Yes, the same criminal he spent Rogue Nation putting away. Irony.

What’s hot

Chase sequences have always been a plus for this franchise. Fallout does try to one up the epic Sandstorm chase sequence from Ghost Protocol and succeeds. I thought I will never get over the awesomeness of the former, but in the new movie, there is a legit chase sequence on a helicopter. It doesn’t get better than that! Or maybe it does in the 7th part?

Who would believe Tom Cruise is 56? Just the fact that I know his age topped with the knowledge that he performs his own stunts makes watching every second of the actor on screen a delight. I am totally aspiring to be that fit in my 50s. Actually, I am not that fit even in my 20s. So, that’s a long shot. But, God, Tom is so awe-inspiring.

The action, the stunts, the music are so on point in Mission: Impossible – Fallout. Then there is Tom Cruise running with his iconic hand chops. It’s incredible.

I also like the fact that this became the second MI film, to have its climax based in India. Sorry for the mild spoiler, but you can live with this one.

Women continue to save men from impossible situations in Fallout too. So a huge shout-out to Rebecca Ferguson.

What’s not

The biggest flaw in Fallout is how utterly predictable it is at points. Point to be noted, it still manages to entertain with its predictability. But I have got to deduct marks for that. Right? You can see the twist coming from miles off. Also, the first two scenes – how Ethan loses Plutonium and how he gets intel on Lark – were also foreseen. That’s a disaster, given the fact how awesome the movie is otherwise. Also, don’t go around spending too much time re-assessing and thinking about the motives of characters played by Rebecca, Henry Cavill and new entrant, Vanessa Kirby. Because that is a huge mess. I am still trying to fix a few pieces in the puzzle. And I am pretty good at understanding plot of movies. We also never really learn how the plutonium bombs reach the place where they are exactly.

One of my most favourite moments in all movies is when in MI3, Julia saves her husband Ethan. I will always complain that the series is not investing in Julia enough. In Fallout, too, she just makes a token appearance near the end. She was his wife, for God’s sake! Please give her more screentime.

If you are watching the movie in Indian screens, get ready to see some abrupt edits. Few words have been edited out, which disrupted the flow of the scenes. But this flaw is more on the CBFC, I guess.

What to do

What movie doesn’t have flaws? Name one? Despite everything I said that wrong with Mission: Impossible – Fallout, it is a highly enjoyable film. Time flew when I was watching Tom do all sorts of unimaginable stunts in different parts of the world. After The Mummy, we needed this. Action lovers, check it out at all costs. Also, take your action-hater friends along, they might just start enjoying the genre.
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments: